This warming soup is a big favourite in the house and with friends. I took about 4 litres of it to a dinner party for 6 as a starter and the guests got to third helpings by the time the soup was all gone. Like most soups, it’s incredibly simple to make. This recipe serves 4.
- 350g broccoli
- 400ml vegetable stock
- 25g butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 50g Stilton, crumbled, or to taste
- 100ml creme fraiche
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- Chop the broccoli into chunks, florets and stalks.
- Steam the broccoli in a pan until tender.
- Whilst the broccoli is steaming, fry the onion in the butter for about a minute
- Shove the broccoli, stock, onion, Stilton into a blender and blend until lumpy
- Add the creme fraiche. Blend again until smooth
- Transfer the soup to a saucepan and simmer.
- Add nutmeg and pepper to taste