I cooked this on New Year’s Day for my Mum and Dad. It’s been a signature pudding of my Dad’s for quite some time, so it was nice to return the favour and it topped off a fantastic roast joint of beef rib with all the trimmings beautifully!
- 100-175g softened butter
- 10-12 slices thick sliced white bread
- A jar of thick cut marmalade
- Juice and rind of 2 large oranges
- Juice and rind of 1 lemon
- Vanilla Custard – make your own from your favourite recipe or get the best ready made stuff you can.
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Grease a shallow baking dish with butter
- Cut the crusts off the bread
- Spread the slices with butter and marmalade and cut into triangles (this is the messy bit)
- Combine the juice and rinds of the oranges and lemon.
- Line the bottom and sides of the baking dish with the bread slices. Dip them in the juice/ rind as you do so. Arrange them butter side up.
- Fill the dish with the remaining bread triangles, keeping a few in reserve to decorate the top.
- Fill the dish with custard.
- Decorate the top with the remaining bread triangles.
- Bake for 30 mins or until crisp and golden on the outside. The centre should still be nice and creamy.